We are extremely proud and honoured to be able to showcase to the rest of the country and the world, the innovativeness and leadership of our Canadian youth. One of Top 20 under 20's goals was to profile the multiple paths to success in Canada today. Entrepreneurship, apprenticeships, college and university are all equally viable and worthwhile options for youth. says Akela Peoples, Executive Director, Youth in Motion. The recipients certainly reinforce this notion, said Ms. Peoples.
We are excited to celebrate with Canadians across the country the innovation, achievements and leadership demonstrated by each of the Top 20 Under 20 recipients. Most importantly, we are comforted in the knowledge that this country competitiveness will be preserved well into the future, said Claude Dussault, President and CEO, ING Canada. ING is proud to partner with Youth in Motion in recognizing and rewarding the very attributes that have led to our global success, said Mr. Dussault.
Over 200 nominations were received during a two month national call for nominations. Award recipients were selected by an illustrious panel of judges that represented some of the top Canadians in their field or area of interest.
Each recipient receives a financial award up to $1,500 to be directed towards their continuing area of study or training, participation in a Three Day Leadership Summit specifically designed to further enhance their leadership and innovative capabilities. They will also be mentored by a Canadian leader for a period of 8 months.
The recipients in this inaugural year of Top 20 Under 20 include:
- Christopher Beausoleil, Tilbury, Ontario
- Phil Birnbaum, Richmond Hill, Ontario
- Megan Blanchard, Sudbury, Ontario
- Alysia Garmulewicz, New Denver, British Columbia
- Garnett Genius, Sherwood Park, Alberta
- Jasmine Ing, Calgary, Alberta
- Kristopher Knowles, Sarnia, Ontario
- Ashly Larson, Erickson, Manitoba
- Lisa Leroy, Pointe Claire, Quebec
- Nicole Lovat, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Francesca Mancuso, Trenton, Ontario
- Aakarsh Nair, Toronto, Ontario
- Shaqil Peermohamed, Calgary, Alberta
- Amandha Richter, Red Deer, Alberta
- Greg Stark, Toronto, Ontario
- Pavlina Sudrich, Whitehorse, Yukon
- Carl Swanson, Edmonton, Alberta
- Carlos Taguba, Toronto, Ontario
- Andrew Tai, Mississauga, Ontario
- Tiffany Vogel, Toronto, Ontario
Youth in Motion (YIM) is a national, Canadian charitable organization that helps young Canadians to 'live their best life'. With offices in Toronto and Calgary, YIM provides education and career development programs as well as scholarships and bursaries. It is an extension of the highly successful, not-for-profit Women in Motion Career Education organization that was founded in 1997. For more information, visit www.youth-in-motion.ca.
ING is Canada's leading property and casualty insurer and one of the most innovative financial services organizations. It provides insurance, banking and investment products and services to approximately 4 million customers via the Internet, over the phone, or in person. ING recently established the ING Foundation committed to empowering Canada's young people to achieve their full potential. For more information, visit www.ingcanada.com.
For further information or to arrange an interview please contact Larry Mah, Top 20 under 20(TM) Program Manager, at (416) 738-1382, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Full recipient bios and photos are available.
Return to all Press Releases