Canadian municipalities can now apply for Municipal Climate Resiliency Grants
TORONTO, Oct. 4, 2021 /CNW/ - Across the country this past summer, Canadians have experienced the devastating impacts of climate change-induced extreme weather: from record-breaking heat waves to destructive wildfires to catastrophic flooding.
Municipalities play a critical role in protecting communities from the impacts of climate change. More than ever, investment is needed to support municipalities as they adapt to extreme weather. Intact Public Entities (TSX: IFC) and the Intact Foundation are here to help.
Through the Municipal Climate Resiliency Grant, they're investing $1 million in cities and towns across Canada that are developing practical and effective solutions to protect communities from floods or wildfires.
"We need to enable municipalities across Canada to build resilient communities together. We're in a unique position to help bring plans to life so we can action change and make a difference," said Larry Ryan, President, Intact Public Entities. "We all understand the urgency and these grants will help municipalities to protect people from the impacts of climate change we're experiencing today and build our resilience for the future."
"Successfully adapting to extreme weather is key to fighting climate change and keeping our communities safe. We need to act urgently to implement adaptation solutions to limit the impacts of otherwise unrelenting extreme weather," said Diane Flanagan, Chair of the Intact Foundation. "It will depend on taking collective actions, and the ability of governments to direct resources and implement proven solutions."
The Municipal Climate Resiliency Grants will prioritize the following types of projects:
- Shovel-ready projects: greening and natural infrastructure solutions such as wetland restoration to reduce flood risk or vegetation management techniques to create a community fire guard.
- Climate mitigation tools: these could include incentives for homeowners to install sump pumps or fire-retardant roofing.
- Research readiness and feasibility assessments: these could include updating flood and/or wildfire-risk mapping or undertaking a flood or wildfire hazard assessment.
- Awareness and education: these could include distributing home flood and/or wildfire protection materials or creating an online portal for residents to obtain flood-risk information.
Over the years, the Intact Foundation has supported more than 90 projects through climate adaptation grants across Canada, committing more than $16 million to support these practical solutions.
- Intact's approach to climate resiliency was laid out in a recent opinion piece in the Globe and Mail. It calls for the need to futureproof critical infrastructure; to build right – in the right places – the first time; and to use natural infrastructure as a first line of defense. You can read it here.
- Municipalities own and operate 60% of the public infrastructure in Canada.
- Nearly two million Canadian households are at high risk of flooding, yet most people don't know they're at risk.
- About 60% of all Canadian cities, towns, settlements, and Indigenous communities are at risk from wildfires. Most communities threatened by wildfires are in regions with burn areas projected to increase by 50% to 200% due to climate change.
About Intact Financial Corporation
Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC) is the largest provider of property and casualty (P&C) insurance in Canada, a leading provider of global specialty insurance, and, with RSA, a leader in the U.K. and Ireland. Our business has grown organically and through acquisitions to over $20 billion of total annual premiums.
In Canada, Intact distributes insurance under the Intact Insurance brand through a wide network of brokers, including its wholly-owned subsidiary BrokerLink, and directly to consumers through belairdirect. Intact also provides affinity insurance solutions through the Johnson Affinity Groups.
In the U.S., Intact Insurance Specialty Solutions provides a range of specialty insurance products and services through independent agencies, regional and national brokers, and wholesalers and managing general agencies.
Outside of North America, the Company provides personal, commercial and specialty insurance solutions across the U.K., Ireland, Europe and the Middle East through the RSA brands.
SOURCE Intact Financial Corporation